We are a North Carolina based, public non-profit agency that has provided services to blind and visually impaired people since 1934. Metrolina Association for the Blind became a member agency of United Way in 1938, an affiliation it continues to enjoy today.
The Metrolina Association for the Blind provides two main services which are described below.
Vision Rehabilitation Services
These services help people who are blind and visually impaired learn techniques of daily living and ways to increase their independence. Rehabilitation specialists develop a personal relationship with every client in order to understand each person's unique needs and to implement a program tailored to the individual.
While there is no charge for many rehabilitation services, some fees may apply. An individually designed program could include any or all of the following services:
- Case Management
- Vision Rehabilitation Therapy (daily living)
- Orientation and Mobility (travel training)
- Low Vision Services
- Support Services
We also provide support services such as an aids and appliances store, transportation, and individual counseling.
Accessible Document Services (ADS)
ADS is our Braille and large print transcription operation.
Accessible Document Services has three main areas:
- Textbook Mastering and Copy Services: Our costs to master textbooks in Braille or large print are competitive within the industry.
- Statement Rendering Services: We handle the accounts of many national corporations to transcribe their monthly billing statements for visually impaired people into Braille or large print.
- Additional Transcription Services: We also transcribe other assorted items into Braille and large print. These items have included: insurance policies, annual reports, legal documents, employee orientation materials, voter ballots, menus, and personal letters.
From this website you may:
- Discover information about our Vision Rehabilitation and Accessible Document Services and how to access them.
- Support our efforts to serve blind and visually impaired people by making donations on-line using your credit card. All credit card transactions are secure.
- Find a volunteer activity which appeals to you and submit your application to volunteer with us on-line.
- Gain information about our history.
- Get directions to our agency.
Thank you for visiting our site. If we can assist you in any way simply contact us through email or by calling us at 1-800-926-5466. Enjoy your visit!