Step 1: Request an absentee ballot
- Go to the absentee ballot request portal: https://votebymail.ncsbe.gov/app/home.
- There are three options. Select option 1: “Request an Absentee Ballot“.
- Even if you already requested a mail-in ballot for this election, you will need to request a ballot again. Click Continue under “Submit New Absentee Ballot Request.
- Please note: If you are requesting a second absentee ballot, you will receive a notification that reads: “Duplicate Request Found.” This is okay, as long as you have not returned the ballot you previously requested.
Step 2: Fill out the request form
- Fill out the request form. Once you get to section 9, you will have the option to request an accessible ballot. Select the checkbox for “Check if you require an accessible ballot due to visual impairment.”
- Select Continue.
- Review all of your information. Double check section 9 to confirm that “Yes” is selected for the statement, “Check if you require an accessible ballot due to visual impairment.”
- Type your signature on the signature page and submit.
Step 3: Wait for the Board of Elections to tell you that your ballot is available
- You will receive an email that tells you when your ballot is ready.
Step 4: Return to the absentee voting portal to complete your ballot
Step 5: Vote using the accessible ballot
- Read the instructions for completing the ballot.
- Select a candidate by selecting the checkbox for the candidate’s name.
- Remove a selection by selecting the checked box again.
- Vote for a qualified write-in candidate who is not listed on the ballot by selecting the checkbox for WRITE-IN. Then type the candidate’s name in the space.
Step 6: Get a Witness/Assistant Signature
As with a paper mail-in ballot, you will need someone to serve as a witness for the electronic absentee ballot. That person needs to complete the Witness Section completely.
If you have any help with filling out the ballot, indicate that as well and fill out the Voter Assistance Section completely.
- Review the Voter’s Signature page and sign and fill it out completely.
- Review the Witness Signature page completely and have the witness provide a signature.
- Review the Voter Assistance Signature page and have the person helping you sign that page. That person must sign this page even if they were also the witness.
- The same person can witness and assist with your ballot.
Learn More: https://disabilityrightsnc.org/general/your-voting-rights